Share on Facebook
Today's weddings are all about personalization, and the May 2010 issue of BRIDES Magazine has tons of great suggestions for doing just that! With some of these distinctive new traditions, you and your fiance can give guests a special peak into your life as a couple and the family customs that have brought the two of you closer. Here is the top 10 list of New Traditions, all of which are very creative ways to make your wedding day uniquely yours... and of course I had to add my own two cents!
1. Group photo of all the guests - very cute addition to your thank you note cards.
2. Menu of Grandma's recipes - each table can be a different recipe of Grandma's secret dishes or you can bundle several together on a CD and make it a favor.
3. Family Serenades - well, if your family is like mine and can't carry a tune, might not be the best idea, but on the other hand that's what makes your wedding video memorable!
4. Combined Ethnic Cuisines - maybe you are of Mexican decent and he's Italian... makes for awesome food like make your own fajita station and a gelato bar - yum!
5. Favorite Professors as Officiants - or a family member or friend. It's always more personal when the person marrying you has actually known you for more than a month!
6. Presenting the Bouquet to Mom instead of Tossing it to the Girls - Great way to express your love and gratitude to a very special woman in your life. You can also consider the anniversary dance instead of the bouquet and garter toss. Don't know what that is? I'll blog on it next!
7. Dancing to your parents' first dance song - sure to bring a tear to Mom and Dad's eye.
8. Using herbs from your backyard in your bouquet - early bridesmaids' bouquets were made of pungent herbs such as rosemary and garlic - not flowers. The smell was supposed to drive away any evil spirits eyeing the bridal party. Provides personalization and safety - double bonus!
9. Toasts by friends from each stage of life: childhood, elementary school, high school, college, work - I would actually recommend doing this during the rehearsal dinner otherwise you could spend your entire evening listening to toasts instead of dancing!
10. Table of family photos - I recently had a client do this and it was fantastic. They had every single wedding picture from both sides of the family all the way back to the great grandparents. Very much an attention grabber and conversation starter!